Whistleblower speaks out on KBR electrocutions
Lawyers for the family of an electrocuted soldier on Tuesday accused defense contractor KBR Inc. of violating a court-ordered confidentiality agreement by releasing documents to the news media last month.
Company attorneys countered KBR had to defend itself against bad press concerning the deaths of Staff Sgt. Ryan Maseth, 24, of Shaler and 17 others who were electrocuted since the start of the Iraq war in 2003.
U.S. District Judge Nora Barry Fischer, after hearing arguments from both sides, indicated she will rule on the plaintiff’s motion for sanctions against KBR at a later date.
Attorney Stephen Del Sole told the court that KBR tried to “put their spin on the facts” when company spokeswoman Heather Browne released a “position paper” denying involvement in the electrocutions. He said the paper and an accompanying chart contain misleading information and factual inaccuracies that are contradicted by official records.
Maseth, a Green Beret, died after turning on the water and stepping into his shower at the Radwaniyah Palace Complex in Iraq. His parents, Cheryl Harris and Douglas Maseth, sued KBR, claiming the contractor performed shoddy work and failed to maintain the electrical infrastructure at the estate once owned by Saddam Hussein. Full Story